PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar buys stake in Cathay
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2017, 23:48
Trafalgar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This industry is littered with the wreckage of airlines that pushed their staff one step too far. A classic case was that of Eastern Airlines, one of the large legacy carriers in the USA during the late 80/90's. They were bought out by Frank Lorenzo (wikipedia if not sure). He had a similar idea to our current CX management (and yes, our management are so clueless they are attempting failed strategies of over 30 years ago), which was to slash staff costs and benefits, and...surprise, maximise 'shareholder' value and management bonuses. Well, with Eastern, he pushed that one step too far. Faced with an ultimatum to come off strike and 'accept' their imposed terms with a threat of shutting down the airline if they didn't.....most of the employees decided that is simply wasn't worth continuing with a management and career that was full of uncertainty and intimidation (sound familiar). They simply let the airline shut down. Nearly all the employees found good careers in other airlines. The moral of the story is simply this: people have a breaking point. CX management, you have pushed yours right up to that point. Go ahead, push just that little bit further....

And Coffee, just an update. During my flight to HK yesterday, both FO's just interviewed with carriers in the USA and 'Europe'. Both awaiting course dates. The SO told me he is gone the first day he can arrange a decent job ANYWHERE else (his words). I also was made aware by one of the FO's that he has three friends following him through the interview process at the same airline he is awaiting a course date from. Also interesting was his reasoning: he didn't want to get left behind or lose his early place on his new seniority list. He also said that it was too late for any reconciliation with CX. He explained that ALL trust and faith was irrevocably lost. No matter what was said or promised at this point, he had concluded that it was almost a 95% certainty it would be a lie. THAT is what you and your kind have accomplished. Well done.

Last edited by Trafalgar; 13th Nov 2017 at 02:16.