PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who else still alive has ever flown in a commercially-operated biplane?
Old 12th Nov 2017, 14:16
Buster11

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ConnieLover
Thanks, Buster11! That was a very speedy reply! Wow..... Your experiences are incredible and wonderful! What did you think of the Tiger Moth as far as bow easy she was to fly? (SLF here, so do not know anything about that, other than what I read on the web.)

I asked my question because I had no way of knowing how unusual what I had gotten to do was, and because I like to read stories of what others have gotten to do.
I'd first flown Magisters at Redhill so tail-draggers were quite normal to me, in fact I don't recall any trike undercart light aircraft at that time apart from the Owlet and the Ercoupe. This was all 60 years or more ago and for some reason I have no recollection at all of using the flaps on the Maggie, though I assume we must have.

The Tiger seemed rather more docile in spins (apparently not taught any more for PPLs) and needed a lighter touch than the Maggie. Taxying required constant nose swinging to get any idea of what lay ahead and the lack of brakes made pre-planning important, as I discovered to my cost when taxying back at Croydon one day and turning both downwind and slightly downhill.

I didn't have many hours on either aircraft but don't recall any special difficulties, though my flying consisted of sedate plodding rather than aerobatting either aircraft.