PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe Dash 8 400 nosegear failure at Belfast airport
Old 12th Nov 2017, 13:28
edmundronald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a journo, hack, etc I think I may venture an opinion. I think you're being a bit pilot-centric here: such a landing can shut down the runway for a while. This is an item of local news, for anyone whose living is connected with that airport or who needs to fly through.

A landing without nose gear such as here would presumably -I'm SLF- require alerting the fire trucks, have a supervisor ready in the tower in case something goes pear-shape and the runway gets polluted or blocked or ambulances are required. There is a strong possibility that following aircraft may have to divert even if all that happens is a runway excursion. Or do you intend to message that that the exact outcome of a no-nosegear landing is perfectly predictable, that the plane will taxi to stand and take off for the next sector after a 20 minute turnaround?

A phrase is needed for the act of safely landing a plane on the runway, albeit in an abnormal fashion such that the airport's processes may be impacted.