PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the ICON A5 the new Cirrus?
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2017, 00:26
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
That’s your interpretation

No, that absolutely is not my interpretation. If you work their little matrix for "soft decks" and level of training, their recommendation for someone with only their sport pilot level training is banks up to 45 degrees, lower than 300 above the surface. There's no interpretation or grey area involved. That is strictly within the plain black letter meaning of their recommendation. If English is a second language for you, I can walk you through reading their low altitude recommendation letter to see where that is stated, but this is not an interpretation of something vague and indefinite.

It even states in the Founders introduction letter to the "Low altitude flying guidelines" that the very purpose of the Icon A5 is for low flying.

I wanted you to hear about this topic (low altitude flying) directly from me since A) it's near and dear to my heart for many reasons, and B) it's the essence of sport flying and the very reason the A5 was created in the first place.
Icon has backed themselves into a corner here, the entire raison de etre of the A5 is to bomb around close to the surface, that's what they're selling to neophyte pilots: "Hey buy our product, take our quickee pilot school, then go blasting around low level. Wheeeee!!!!!!! What A Rush!!!!!" That's what thier entire business model is built around. So they cant really turn around and say: " Ahem, we were just kidding, actually flying below 300 feet is pretty hazardous and you should probably only do it when taking off and landing. "

Last edited by A Squared; 12th Nov 2017 at 00:38.