PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the ICON A5 the new Cirrus?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2017, 22:07
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
I’d have to disagree with you.
I’m not seeing anything outrageous in the video. Steep turns can be done in any light airplane and they certainly didn’t do it in a reckless manner scraping the paint as you’re insinuating.
I'd agree that the videos don't show anything which could be called "outrageous" but they do make if quote clear that the Icon is for low level flying.

It's interesting to read Icon's "low level flying guidelines" according to the guidelines applicable to pilots with a sport pilot certification and no specialized training is that maneuvering below 300 ft agl is acceptable up to bank angles of 45 degrees. 60 degrees bank is only acceptable above 300 ft AGL. However, if you take Icon's "LOWALT" training, your good to go for up to 60 degrees of bank down to 100 ft AGL.

Can anyone here who has done primary flight instruction imagine saying to a student: "Hey, now that you've passed your Private Pilot Checkride, it's safe for you to go out and practice those 60 degree steep turns at 400 ft above the ground, but when you're flying at less than 300 ft above the ground, don't bank any more than 45 degrees.

That in essence, is Icon's low altitude flying recommendations.