PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How you fly when no one is watching...
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2017, 20:36
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temptation to show off....

How you fly when nobody is watching? no point in showing off then....

Delta Sierra, good advice, except for that last sentence! "if the engine stops you are going to crash, only the lucky guys walk away."

And you recommend that early solo pilots maintain a minimum of 1,000 AGL.
Even in a cranky old Cessna, you still have time from that height to aim for a field, a quiet road, a group of friendly trees (plan to end up on the higher branches), a factory roof, a parking lot...

Gliders descend more slowly, so have more time to make a choice. But power pilots get into more trouble by trying to turn back to the airfield from a low level failure, and spin while turning too slowly, which hurts. The most dangerous temptation is intermittent failure...I think I would say to myself "this aircraft now belongs to the insurance company!" and land ahead.

Amazing landings have had a happy ending, when the cranky old Cessna is UNDER CONTROL! the approach is made to the best choice at the slowest sensible speed.

At Booker, a power pilot passed out turning base, and ended up on a roof. But little damage, and no injury.

So my advice is to think ahead about what you would do in case the engine plays up or quits. Fly with an instructor or a friend, and practice choosing possible landing places. Glider pilots do this exercise in a motor glider before being sent solo.