PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time to prepare first ATPL session
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2017, 13:01
rudestuff

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes. I found it nearly impossible to get motivated to study after working a 60 hour week. I can only learn if I'm under pressure. Putting them off indefinitely was as good as not doing them at all, so I set myself a challenge - I took 4 weeks off work and booked my first four exams.

I smashed every question bank until I could get 100%, accepted every 'rote' answer and googled or YouTubed everything that required a technique or explanation. Some subjects required more than a week some less than a week. VFR and IFR comms for example took about a day. I booked two exams for Monday and two exams for Thursday, giving two full extra days study time. The hardest thing is booking the exams. I got a 95% average, I understand it won't work for everyone.

AGK and GNAV no more than a week, AIR law and HPL slightly more. If you want a sound understanding of the subject, work longer and harder. For me it was just a technique to pass the exams. Some people will say that you need to really understand this stuff - that is very true for some subjects, not so much for others - in my aircraft packs are off or Auto - and that is as much as I need to know.

Last edited by rudestuff; 11th Nov 2017 at 13:13. Reason: Additional info