PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning to Fly - Home School?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2017, 08:47
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Larry!

I've been learning to fly since 1983! ! ! no, seriously, began in gliders and went on to get the power license. Mainly in the UK, but I also visit family in the US a lot, and fly myself to visit them in Florida, Texas, N.J. and Michigan.
I got the instrument rating in Georgetown, Texas.

In which state do you live? and what airfields are near your home? that is the best way to start looking, snoop around and ask questions. O yes, and as Alex 90 says, go see your doctor FIRST, it would be very frustrating to find out some medical condition might get in the way of a license.

Don't spend too much time on the technical stuff, the books and the simulators. It is MOST IMPORTANT to get your butt into a REAL airplane, with an instructor if possible, so the experience of leaving the ground is what matters. Experience the weather, handling controls, finding your way, and learning how to land without bending it! Nothing else matters, that can all come later, and it will make a lot more sense.

So near your home, that matters. Because you will make friends wherever you learn to fly. ( Your other friends won't have a clue what you are talking about any more!)