PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help researching 1961 Electra crash
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2017, 00:59
BRDuBois

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G0ULI
Astonishing! I never expected to see colour images after all this time.

I note that there are regular poorly focused vertical and horizontal markings spread across the still frames. That suggests filming was through some form of wire fencing, perhaps installed to keep wildlife and people off the railroad track. That might help to establish the camera position exactly.
I think the vertical lines are scratches on the film. This was 8mm, and probably converted to digital form after at least 35 years of being played mechanically. There's a very curious horizontal line in the foreground on the left side of the composite done near the crash site. I really don't know what to make of that. There is also a wire draped higher up in that image, which suggests the plane managed to go entirely underneath it.

I've heard back from Wayne State U, and they'll be looking for the crash materials next week. The ALPA never answered my emails, so I had pretty much no hope of getting their stuff. This is a real gift, but as I told my wife it will make for a long weekend! Lockheed-Martin also never answered, and Delta couldn't begin to care about NW history. Next week should be interesting.