PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ils intercept terminology
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 22:43
gnarlberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyer350
I know this has came up before but terminology always seems to be changing.
Is there any difference on the following:

"Turn left heading 240 and when established localiser Rwy 27 descend glide path"

"Turn left heading 240 and cleared ils app"

I believe the correct terminology is:

"Turn left heading 240 and report localiser established rwy 27" ..."descend glide path"

Seems a lot of variation. Sometimes I've heard pilots say "confirm cleared for the app?" Then the controller replies "negative when localiser established descend glide path"

Well, option number one says that you can turn, intercept and follow the Localizer, and when the glide comes from above you can follow the glide.

option number to means , that you can turn and you are fully cleared which means that you should follow the standard altitudes as in your charts.
if the ILS starts from 3000´and you are on 3000´there is no change.
If you are at 4000 feet, and at 11.5nm ILS/DME you have a step descent to 3000 feet, you should keep the 4000 until intercepting the glide on OPTION 1.
On Option 2 you would descent 3000 feet and then intercept the glide from 3000.

In germany mostly common they say when you are at 4000´and ILS starts at 3000´: XXXXX turn left heading 295, cleared ILS 27 leave on the glide.

thats nuff. traveling down to spain you need to be aware of the altitudes. you are cleared to descent to 7000 feet and then they clear you for the ILS. in this case altitude and steps descents are like in the charts. but if you're not aware you'll get in ******* hot, and ******* high !