PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 18:50
Lyneham Lad

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
First tour at Brueggen (can't do umlauts at the mo') in 1970, early-twenties single Cpl techie. Bought a superb autobahn cruiser (Citroen DS21) from the dealer just outside Elmpt. The owner of the dealership was English and told me he had been a Flt Lt MTO and had bought the garage after winning the lottery.

What a car that was - happy to sit at the ton, cruising down the autobahns, autoroutes etc etc. I was supposed to be living-in but you know how it is... Scurrying back from Duesseldorf along the 230(?) early one morning and approaching Niederkruetchten I was caught out by black ice (roads were never salted) & ended up in the middle of a ploughed field. Had it not been for the long-travel hydraulic suspension of the DS21 I would have done multiple barrel-rolls, instead of which it bunny-hopped across the field. Cost me quite a few beer-chits for MT to come along with a wrecker to drag it across the field and hoik it back on the road... Poor old car was never quite the same afterwards.

My 2 1/2 yr singlie tour turned into a 3 year tour and tour-ex I returned home with wife, baby son and a lovely Renault 16TS (twin-choke Webers and an electric sun-roof!).