PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 16:25
Four Turbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotcha

Wildenrath 1961. New boy on first day as Orderly Officer (No. 1 Uniform all day) . Issued with a VW (proper OLD Beetle). Evening tasks included going to the other side of the airfield to 'inspect' RAF police on outer perimeter of (nuclear) bomb dump. Left the bar around 2130 to drive around LONG dark peri track; arrived. 'Halt, who goes there?'. 'Orderly Officer' . 'Put your ID on the ground and retire 10 metres' . Did so and was eventually admitted to police hut. Sergeant says 'Would you like to continue your inspection Sir?'. Stupidly I said 'Yes'. (Can YOU see what is coming??) 'Follow me'. Did so through pitch blackness stumbling over roots and grass. From the dark - 'Halt, who goes there?'. xxx. 'Put your ID on the ground and retire 10 metres' Did so and fell over into long grass. Highly amused policeman (with snarling dog) helps me up and points me onward. Took nearly half an hour and about ten challenges before I was shown the way back to the hut. Sergeant is waiting with a welcome tea - and a request 'Sir, please do not tell the next new boy!' Drove back to mess bar covered in mud and grass to be welcomed with howls of mirth. Happy days - and TACEVAL had not been invented. Mike Turner (17 Sqn PR Canberras)

Last edited by Four Turbo; 10th Nov 2017 at 16:26. Reason: Spelling