PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 16:07
Exrigger

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Chinook deployments from Gutersloh to many a farmer’s fields was an interesting experience to say the least, and occasionally we could actually use the buildings, always thought it odd to practice putting tents up inside a building, but it was an extra layer of protection in winter, although keeping a bottle of Harveys Bristol cream sherry next to a paraffin heater to keep it warm was also beneficial, allegedly.

After 4 years and lots of things happening, I thought this tale might be one of the least controversial, although there was many more, some not for public dissemination.

For one such jolly I was volunteered to be the lead truck in the convoy, which meant you had to apparently know where you were going as everyone followed you, I tried to tell them that my navigation skills in UK were not to be experienced so what hope had I in Germany, but the management insisted.

Set off driving four ton truck and trailer with young man as spare driver, even though he had no licence, common cost saving exercise apparently, several miles from Gutersloh I carried on at a set of lights and noted that contrary to convoy rules everyone else turned right, said to my 'left hand' man "I think we should of turned right back there" followed by an attempt at buck passing "you have the map and route", as the senior rank thought that might work.

Assuming correctly that I had no idea where I was going, I decided to turn down a side road though I did not notice the German sign for ‘no lorries’, stopped outside a house at a junction and tried to reverse trailer and truck around the corner so I could turn around, unfortunately the road was not wide enough. Decided to unhitch the trailer and the two of us tried to shift it, no dice as one could imagine, thankfully, despite finding the situation highly amusing, a couple of blokes from the nearby house came and helped us and we were back on our way. Finally caught up with the rest, as they had stopped for a break and see if I could catch up, which I managed to, though I did suggest that I should not try leading a convoy again, thankfully it was not pushed, and I was never asked again.

The race back to Gutersloh at ‘endex’ was fun, as despite convoy rules it was every person for themselves to get back, truck sorted, parked, hit the bar occasionally and then home.

Great times overall, great BBQs, mess functions, experiences never to be had again with the making of future war stories for the telling, and mostly good people to work with, in a great environment.