View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 15:45
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mooneyboy: I agree with your thinking.

In case you do NOT adjust the intermediate approach (platform) altitude,
- in accordance with your company policy;
- to keep things simple for ATC, avoiding aircraft flying in different true altitudes and compromising clearance from whoever may be at 4000' uncorrected;
- in line with the margins already embedded in the design of the procedure;
- following the letter of regulations that all minimum altitudes must be corrected;
(4x yes from from me)

THEN: The easiest choice would be to maintain 3000 uncorrected until intercepting the desired stable descent profile. The problem here is, for a fact, that the needed calculation is very inappropriate to be done on a flightdeck, lord forbid during the approach itself!

I'd use my best judgement and fake it somehow. On a grand scale, due to the scaresity of such excercise in real life, and safety net provided by the following corrected cross-check altitudeS >Halifax, anyone, helloo??< It is only a methodical problem, not a practical issue.

CAUTION: On the Airbus, the FPV is baro-angle, for my lack of a better word.

If you would be flying down from e.g. corrected 2440' height, you need to adjust the FPA too!
- charted 2200 height and 3 deg
- corrected 2440 height 3.2 deg.

BTW thanks for the question, obviously you've done the brain-work before posting. Pleasure to discuss afterwards, hopefully my last paragraph above will be interesting for some to read.

Last edited by FlightDetent; 10th Nov 2017 at 21:23.