PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tricks and Tips to make flying easier.
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 11:33
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tricks and Tips to make flying easier.

Hello guys,

Just out of curiosity, I would be interested if some of you could share your tricks or tips or just "way of doing things" in the every day life of flying. I personally use Mnemonic. It helps me a lot since I started flying like for example "3D5V" For a 3° approach, you multiple your distance by 3 to know what altitude you should be and your ground speed by 5 to know your vertical speed. Or back when I was flying twin pistons in the bush with no checklist, I always used the BUMPFFTIDE or BUMPFFDIET check for take off: Brakes, Undercarriages, Mixture, Pitch, Fuel, Flaps, Doors, Instruments, Electrical, Trim and only BUMPFF for approach.

Now I'm on the A 320, and the one I used the most are:

TLPAD: Techlog, Loadsheet, Performance (EFB computation), ATC, and Doors.
Quite useful to make sure we don't start the push back before signing the techlog and forget to do the performance computation. "P" can also stands for passport for China flights as we need to give our passport to immigration even for turn around flights.
For the descent profile, I just multiple the distance or the altitude by 3: then + 1nm per 10kt to lose on the speed. Pretty classic this one.

SSLETUCEWW for the memory items including Crew incapacitation. I know Crew incapacitation is not considered as a memory item anymore and there have been some changes but still good anyway.

Quick way to know if you are flying an A 321 Category C or D? --> Just look at the placard speed: VFE Config 1 is 235kt for Category D and only 230kt for category C.

5533: 5 min for engine warm up after 2 hours shut down, 5 min minimum to wait to set brakes fan On after landing, 3 min to warm up the engine for quick turn around, and 3 min minimum to cool down the engine after landing.

When does the ILS ident appears on the rad nav page? --> 300nm direct distance to the runway threshold. I could not find this one on the FCOM but you can try eg " ZBAA01" on the progress page and at 300nm exactly the ILS Ident will appear.

Some others also just before push back like "NWS" Nosewheel steering disc displayed on the memo, Windows closed, Slides armed.

Engine failure in cruise: TASP for the 4 first steps: Thrust MCT, A/THR Off, Speed .78/300kt, Progress page Altitude check.

For emergency : WTF, Weather, Terrain, Fuel.
during Ecam at Status page: 3 things to consider CAR Cheklist? APU? Reset?

After Ecam action completed, I Made that one: Sounds complicated but works well for me to make sure I do not forget anything critical during the sim:
BDBIIAC: Books (QRH, FCOM, MEL), Decision: Fordec/FOD/WTF, Box (ATIS, EFB, FMS & Briefing), Inform ( 4C--> CFA, Customers, Controller and Company) I0 000 feet check and Cabin report.

These are the main ones I can think off right now. And honnestly they do make my flying much easier. What's about yours? Please share.