PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Link Trainee First Officer Level 1&2
Old 10th Nov 2017, 09:56
eukeybound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotchute
How may hours you have flown in the last 6 months is irrelevant. 99% of new joiners will have to do a type rating. If your flying skills aren't up to speed by then your in trouble.
It's a large jump from flying a single pilot IFR piston twin (or turbine) to going into the RH seat of a multi-crew, high performance RPT turboprop. Type rating is for familiarity and learning to fly the type, MCC etc., not refreshing your basic IFR flying skills.

The hold file isn't another hurdle either. Most airlines who put you in a "hold file" will usually let you know roughly when you will start. You go through a thousand hoops to join then just told to hurry up and wait? Pretty rough really.
Most airlines don't have Level 1 and 2 cadets, they require them to meet minimums before they ever progress anywhere near the hold file.

I bet when they do call you they want you to start now and get stroppy when you say that's not enough time.
Having just had the call myself I can report that they gave me exactly the amount of notice that i requested they give me i.e 4 weeks.