PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus
Thread: Astraeus
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2003, 06:08
CrashDive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have an article, copied from 'Flight International', in which it says of UK aviation:
....... a stock of 5,000 pilots with 25-year working lives requires 200 new pilots a year to maintain an even flow.
now quite how that fits with a post 911 environment, albeit with low-cost airlines much to the fore, is hard to say.... but the article also went on to say:
..... the long-term solution has not changed. Air transport is one of the most expensive professions to enter: "There is no university course in the art of flying".

A BA representative said that the UK industry needs a national pilot training college. "But British Airways can look after itself, thank you very much." and the ATOA chief executive emphasises that the industry is not a single unit: "It's British Airways - and the rest."
The above was written, in 'Flight International', on 15th August 1987 ( yes, 87 )- and so just what's changed since then ?!

Aside - If I find time, I'll repro the whole article ( and a couple of others ), as it makes interesting reading with the historic ( i.e. sixteen years ago ) perspective and pilot numbers - imho.

Q). Does anybody ( other than the Belgrano ) really have the answer as to how many professionally licensed wannabe's there are, i.e. those whom are actively looking for professional pilot employment, as well as how many of the same such people are churned out each year by the 'elementary' pilot training schools ?

Ps. FlyP - rest assured that we're all in training to help fat blokes like you reach the top bricks ( albeit that this is very much the pot calling the kettle black ).
Also, please do not burn your license - but instead rip it up ( like I did mine, in a moment of total dispair ) as that way you can then ( laboriously ) stick the pages back together with cellotape ( I kid you not ! )

Last edited by CrashDive; 14th Sep 2003 at 06:36.