PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 07:55
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
When I had a short holding session between Gnat and Hunter courses, it was at Wildenrath. Having arrived by AAC Beaver, which confused the admin folk who couldn't understand how I'd reached the Gen Office with no record of travel, I learned that I needed a BFG driving licence.

So I was given the book to read before taking the tick test. I noticed that the chap who was marking it simply used a sheet of paper with holes in it, which was placed over the answer sheet - if all the holes showed ticks, you passed. But he hadn't realised that if you weren't sure and ticked 2 boxes, provided that one was correct you still passed....

Having passed the tick test first time, much to the surprise of my boss, I was permitted to drive off-camp in HM's Landrovers as my FMT 600 still showed 'Landrover'. Which was quite useful.

The BFG licence was valid for 3 years. So when I came over in a Vulcan for a weekend, we were able to book a hire car from NAAFI or somesuch for the weekend as my BFG was still just valid. Only trouble was that it took them ages to do the paperwork and the Captain was train-critical - he needed a lift to Moenchengladbach station. So I dropped the crew at the OM then sought out the route on the tatty map I'd been given whilst the Captain did a quick change, then off we went. Having dropped him at the station with about 10 min to spare, I had the joys of driving back in the rush hour...still in my immersion suit. On arriving back at Wildenrath I went to get my room key from reception, but was 'encouraged' into the bar for a few Charlies.

Ever tried getting out of an immersion suit whilst the room is spinning after too many Charlies? I have - and it's not to be recommended!