PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Memories of RAFG
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2017, 21:56
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
Back in UK from RAF Germany on leave I parked my BFG registered car outside the local post office and went into a shop. On my return a few minutes later I found a traffic warden writing out a ticket. I asked her what she was doing and she told me in a very aggressive tone that it was because I wasn't displaying a tax disc. I explained to her that it wasn't a UK registered car but she told me that as far as she was concerned, again in an aggressive tone, that it was right hand drive and displaying a UK registration plate (it had a BFG plate, not a UK one). She insisted on putting the ticket under the windscreen wiper. I said I couldn't actually display a tax disc without the car being on the UK register but she then told me I was going to end up in court and she marched off.

I was so incensed I drove round to the local police station, only a couple of streets away, to ask their advice. When I explained the situation the desk sergeant offered me the use of his waste paper bin, which I took advantage of. I must be one of the few people ever to be encouraged to use a police waste bin to throw away a parking ticket.