PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2017, 21:35
EGAC is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9
Whatever way you try and dress it up, they lost a lot as well. The route may not of been loss making however it suffered. Just look how expensive it's got now.

The minute Ryanair pulled LGW they could never of gone back on it. Now the question is was it a tactful pullout or just necessary in light of the problems.
Without financial figures, I won’t prejudge who lost what, where or when. I don’t think anyone can do that but maybe you are privy to information I’m not. I’m also not dressing up anything, I’m taking things on face value based on how this has played out.

I assume the reason fares are high now is because easyJet are yield managing in the face of expected competition which is now gone. We all know airlines plan months in advance so this winters scheduling and fare decisions will have been made when competition from Ryanair was expected.

Also, some of the early weekday Gatwicks are now on A319’s instead of the A320, that’s 30 less seats on what would primarily be a business orientated flight. Of course prices are therefore going to be higher now overal capacity has reduced.

Ryanair stimulated a cheap, evidently, unsustainable market. I’m sure this was predicted on here and called out by others quite a while back. It looks like they are doing the same at STN, lead in fares were at 9.99 when I looked last night.