PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF KHORMAKSAR
Thread: RAF KHORMAKSAR
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2017, 20:36
tlightb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pink Panther.

Ref ICM and his comment on off loading the Pink Panther, I was a Nav on 21 Sqn Twin Pins, 66-67 and remember being called out when on standby crew one sunny afternoon to go to a strip east of Beihan in the bottom end of the Rub al Khali. Neither the pilot nor I had been there before, and the topo maps for that area were big white sheets with black lines for the wadis and hills/escarpments. Payload was a pack of freight no pax. Off we went got past the detailed topo area and into the less familiar areas. We got to the area where the strip was located and we could see more that one in a smallish area, the reason being that the oil boys would have been doing some exploration work, and marked out landing strips with the usual white stones. Pilot and I both agreed on the actual target strip so we went in. No reception committee of any sort. Sat with engines idling for a bit to see if anyone showed, but no, so I went down the back and cleared the load and hauled the contents up a dune. Contents several boxes and two Land Rover wheels. Got airborne and headed back to Ksar, no trouble finding that! Checked in with Ops on the way back and they said job done, consignment received and many thanks from the recipient. So yes they were out and about somewhere but obviously didn't want to show themselves until they had confirmed the all clear.