PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 9th Nov 2017, 08:40
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I asked a former president at OASC and this is their response:

Well over 10 years ago now but I think it was 1:1200. I imagine it will be less these days. A big draw used to be the pension and other benefits no longer around. Bear in mind though that that's anyone walking into an AFCO with random quals saying they want to be a pilot and actually in possession of quals more suited to a trade apprenticeship. It's not 'FJ pilot' though. Just pilot. We recruited with an assumption for FJ (aptitude, medical fitness etc) and any who did not make FJ could then be hived off for ME or rotary. Aptitude tests etc were all designed with the assumption that the potential pilot had the aptitude to fly whatever was considered to be the most complex platform of the day. E.g, we morphed the aptitude tests away from testing predominately hand, eye, foot coord (although still a factor) required for the most complex platform of the time (GR7) to be more about spatial orientation and ability to process and act on complex and multiple information streams associated with the Typhoon as we geared up for the first Typhoon Ab Initios. Perhaps something similar is being done now with the advent of Litening II.
CG, so well less than 1:10,000 which is logical given buoyant recruiting in the past against the perceived disadvantages of Service life today compared with the commercial draw out side.