PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roy Halladay Sole Fatality in Icon A5 Incident
Old 8th Nov 2017, 23:50
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
if my prose offends, I apologize.
Not at all Concours, it is what it is - and a massive learning exercise for me. After 7500 hours flying light airplanes, I figured I could anticipate and make the best out of most any situation - I was wrong - a pilot can get it wrong much faster than I could fix it.

Reports read that Mr. Halladay had 700 hours, that's decent experience. I've trained new pilots with only a few hundred hours, and they did fine. It's their attitude, and willingness to retain and apply the cautions I teach. What I read which does worry me about this accident, is that Mr. Halladay described flying the Icon like flying a fighter jet, and the aircraft is regarded as being like a jet ski type watercraft. This theme sets the stage for aggressive maneuvering type flying. Risky at least, very skill demanding more likely. It sounds and looks like this was not a flight of leisurely straight and level touring, but more flying the aircraft as it was promoted - lots of maneuvering. That's high skill, quick judgement flying, the pilot has to be up to a high standard for that!