PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather for flying.
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2017, 21:56
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fireflybob......

Quotexercise 2 "Preparation for and Action After Flight" is rarely taught and practised (by the student) completely if ever at all, in my experience.

Completely agree, When I first became an examiner, students never asked to check my licence, despite in the debriefing I pointed out it was a checklist item, there was rarely a briefing or how to exit the aircraft in an emergency, location of the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, or a depature briefing for passengers/examiner. I should add as the examiner briefing that I should be treated as a passenger on his first flight in a light aircraft.

Quote: Teaching someone to fly (should) involve a lot more than just the safe manipulation of the controls. Essentially and ideally we should be teaching PPL holders how to exercise "captaincy".

Yes I agree on teaching captaincy, but also assertiveness and decision making. But to add using all available resourses such as ATC, especially in an emergency.

Quote: Also within the PPL how often do we teach a turn back on a flight due to weather?

When I was first an examiner, I was at odds with the chief examiner, as the test item in respect to entering IMC inadvertently was a 180 degree turn on full panel, that was it from memory, there was no requirement for the student declaring MSA, declaring an emergency with D & D, or radar unit, or declaring the best options for diversion. In addition taking the decision to climb to MSA in the event the 180 degree does not return you back to VMC, clarify icing level, check OAT and visual check for icing.

To add to the above, instructors should be teaching students to recognise bad weather and turn back in advance of adverse weather, and not leave it until in IMC, this should be demonstrated during trainig, which should not be too difficult in English weather.

Last edited by Homsap; 9th Nov 2017 at 08:10.