PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2017, 20:02
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Once again read the report. The Westwind was fitted with a radio altimeter. They used it to work out where the water was. They could also have used it to get closer to the ground and get below the cloud base having first set up a 3degree slope using the V/S function of the autopilot. I don't believe that ditching was the only course of action."

I can't agree with your suggestion Lefty. In your front office you have all the latest high tech gear to work with. When the Westward was built GPS was just a dream.The aircraft had very basic equipment. Round dials, no FMS an ancient basic trimble retrofitted GPS. You'll note from the ATSB report VOR approaches were flown, the GPS was not up to it. I can't imagine considering the circumstances the crew didn't bust minimums a tad, however Norfolk is notorious for wearing a cap of cloud when a warm moist airstream blows over it. Not unusual to get visual on an approach but be unable to land due to the strip being obscured by low cloud.The terrain around the airport is not flat, its cut by gullies, and lots of those famous Norfolk Island pines, so the slightest error would be disastrous, and night out there is very black. I think Dom chose the option most likely to be survivable.