PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Weather for flying.
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2017, 17:51
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Google the rain radar sites, and wind charts and you can estimate from wind speeds and direction what is coming, how long it's going to take get to your chosen spot and often find you are correct. The more you play with it the better you will get, at least at "right here" forecasting.
A lump of rain cloud coming your way in a ten knot wind will be there in one hour, if it is only ten miles thick it will clear up in an hour. Not rocket science.
Rule of thumb. If the TAF is a two line affair it is very likely to contain bad news.
If it is just wind and vis 9999, and high pressure. Chances are it is a nice day. But, don't bet your life on it.
BBC weather ok but they seem more concerned with the temperature (seasonally stating the bleeding obvious!)
Metcheck seems reasonably accurate over a day or two but don't rely on much longer ahead than that.
Aeroweather site gives you Tafs and Metars.
I got out of the "flying school comfort zone" thing as soon as I could because of the "what do you think?" Syndrome.
Standing in a deserted field with a destination 60 miles away in mind, gets you thinking, Will I get there? Will I get back?

Last edited by Crash one; 8th Nov 2017 at 18:03.