PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2017, 11:28
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And that luck seems to have changed over the years. Back in the 60s/70's/80s, it wasn't too unusual for MAN to be one of the few airports not affected by fog when airports in the south and elsewhere were. A generality I know, but then if the direction of a gentle wind or drift was between NW and South East i.e. say NE or E; we tended to escape. S, SW or W tended to be a problem due to the Bollin valley. Nowadays, the wind direction seems irrelevant.

The forecasting of fog doesn't seem great these days either. A week last Friday, fog only appeared in the metars trend at about 05.00 that morning. The previous evening's TAFS had not predicted fog. Likewise the TAFS at 17.00 yesterday only gave a 30% Prob of 1400m in MIFG. I'm sure the airport and airlines would appreciate something more accurate, unless there are special factors which make MAN particularly difficult to forecast.

Fortunately most aircraft can now land in quite thick fog but the long holding delays can cause problems,especially if not originally expected.