PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB clearly holds back Mt Hotham incident report
Old 8th Nov 2017, 04:33
Lead Balloon

Received 426 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
So are you saying LB that you are privy to correspondence within CASA or are you basing this on factually based rumour? You are a lawyer and should know that not cooperating or withholding information from the ATSB during an investigation is not an option. ...
You seem to be a bit distracted at the moment, LL.

The CASA jobsworth’s email dated Friday 6 October 2017 said, with my bolding:
We need to be careful in what is discussed with Dominic as the draft final report into the Westwind accident is protected under S32 of the TSA.

For [name redacted, but the numpties left Dominic’s name in the first sentence] to be asking “how his judgement in flight from on November 18 2009 is still under question” shows he still doesn’t understand the gravity of the situation and his part in it.

The draft final report makes it clearer that [I wonder who’s name was redacted] lacked good decision making skills at that time and since then CASA has been given no evidence that that has changed.

I do not want to keep [guess who] from returning to a command role but believe the only way we could be satisfied is to continue with the assessment as planned in the F20 simulator.

[I wonder what name’s been redacted here] does not accept this from me so perhaps a response from a more senior manager may be appropriate.
Subsequently, this email was sent to Dominic James:
UNCLASSIFIED

Good Morning Dominic,

This email is in regard to how and when CASA will proceed in the matter of your satisfying the conditions attached to your ATPL so that you are able to exercise the privileges of your ATPL.

There have been discussions on whether or not CASA should exercise some discretion in the application of the ATPL conditions and, if so, what would a suitable assessment look like. During The Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee, Senate Estimates of 27 October 2017 CASA’s CEO/DAS stated in response to a question from a Senator “…The ATSB report is due to be handed down in three weeks. I’m considering the approach from Mr James, but I will not make a decision until after the ATSB report is finalised. I just want to make that clear”

In light of that response, as recorded in the Hansard transcript of that committee (refer page 29 of 70), I will not be proceeding in determining how any assessment will be made or when that could occur until after the ATSB report is issued.

Regards

Fred van der Heide
Region Manager Sydney
Safety Assurance Branch
CASA\Aviation Group

p: +61 2 8651 3132 m: +61 408 591 214
260 Elizabeth St., Sydney NSW 2010
GPO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601
If you’re saying that the content of the report is not being taken into consideration by CASA as adverse to Dominic James, I have shares in the Harbour Bridge to sell you.

And the person in the right hand seat of NGA refused to say anything to [ATSB edit - my assertion here may be inaccurate. I’m checking further. Futher edit: The person in the right hand seat refused to talk to CASA or the Senate Committee]. Section 32 of the TSI Act does not require “cooperation”, LL.

Last edited by Lead Balloon; 8th Nov 2017 at 05:10.