PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2017, 22:19
Jonzarno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don’t blame the Beeb

Actually, I don’t think the programme itself was misleading, at least not deliberately so (with the caveat that I only watched the second half).

As the BBC response quoted in the earlier post said: as far as the producers were concerned all they claimed to be doing was recreating Mary Heath’s journey and I can well believe that they would not see the importance of the distinction between solo or non-solo. I don’t believe that they ever actually claimed that the flight was solo; and I don’t think that THEY have tried actively to deceive.

All of the hard, and as yet unanswered, evidence against Ms Curtis-Taylor has actually come from her directly and, whilst apparently very persuasive none of the following......

. The Hearne Bay video
. The on stage presentation in front of the big picture
. Pictures of her wearing RAF wings.
. The withdrawal of the LAA award

...... actually featured in the programme and all happened after the journey and the filming had finished.

Presumably the BBC would justify that by saying that these controversies arose some time after the flight was finished, and had no bearing on what they saw as their objective which was to follow the route of Mary Heath’s flight within the constraints of ca 48 minutes of TV.

Seen through the eyes of non-pilot viewers, and based on the content of the film alone, they can reasonably claim that they did actually achieve that.

Of course when you look beyond that at the things that weren’t in the film, it’s another story. Perhaps they would like to make a sequel?