PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 14th Sep 2003, 00:13
helislave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is a degree an advantage?

Hi all, apologies if this is not the correct forum. It's my first (second attempt at post but then i lost all my text grrr).

I would like to invite any comments, suggestion or advice on what the 'future prospects are of employment'...ok i know that this has most likely been covered more than once before...blah blah...yawn. However, i am looking at financing myself and therefore have to either justify to myself the investment, and perhaps also to whomever lends me the finance. After all many people start new businesses every year, so why can i not see myself as a business, but only if the return on investment is sufficient enough.

I have read a lot of the posts on here, and through my own research figure that it's no easy ride, hard work and dedication are a requirement, and i know that most insurance companies and operators won't even entertain you for initial employment under half a million hours or so...ok a little sarcasm, but surely one needs a sense of humour in order to attempt a challenging career as such as this? but you get my point

I have procrastinated long enough, 10 years or so, saying to myself, 'oh this is not the right time for helo driver employment, let me wait a while longer', but when is it ever? I don't wish to work in a office staring at the same scenery/face for the next x years..i'm sure you all know what i mean. Plank driver doesn't interest me either, i don't consider it challenging enough, who flies it anyway? Perhaps the software that the Aero engineers have designed? OK perhaps private flying is more enjoyable.

So to get to the point, would a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering benefit me at all, in addition to a CPL(H) IR? What are the employment alternatives/advantages of possessing both qualifications, if there are any at all?

Ok comments would be useful even the not so nice ones, hey i did say one needed a sense of humour right?

thanks in advance