PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2017, 13:17
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Petet
MARINE RADAR RECONNAISSANCE

A couple of questions that have cropped up whilst trying to consolidate the information I have relate to No. 35 Squadron's role in Marine Radar Reconnaissance.

Firstly, were all aircraft equipped for the role, or were specific serial numbers used? Secondly, was this just a standby role or were there regular sorties carried out (and, if so, what did they entail)?

Your usual help would be much appreciated

Regards

Pete
One role modification for MRR was the addition of a 1:2,000,000 scale on the H2S to allow for a larger visible area. This was of course a special mod. While in Cyprus we occasionally did a MRR practice using the normal H2S. In UK in the late 60s this went by the name INSTOW. In NEAF is was PICTURE.

The idea was that we would observe for 15 minutes and then the AEO would transmit the report in a 'comms window' In the Med there were so many contacts that it could take the AEO 15 minutes to transmit one report (voice) and immediately begin the next!

Easier was when tattle tailing a task group as that was a simple short broadcast, but of course first find your task group and then be prepared to evade if you p***ed them off