PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HELP! Looking to move to a US airline...with an interesting background...
Old 6th Nov 2017, 12:08
PIC_401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you again for the responses. To give you all some more info, the flight schools I contacted directly to inquire about converting my ICAO ATPL to an FAA one all told me, I would simply go through the ATP-CTP course as normal once of course the FAA has verified my license with the CAA. Here’s what I’ve been told to convert (may help others down the line):

Step 1: Obtain a Letter of Verification from FAA
If you already have FAA license based on foreign license, proceed to next step.
If you have foreign, non-FAA pilot licenses, you must obtain a Letter of Verification from FAA.
Please download a form from FAA website.
Fill it out, sign, scan, email to FAA.
Letter is valid for 6 months, you must have it before the start of the course

FAA will verify with your Civil Aviation Authority (foreign license must be valid and current, pilot must have Multi-Engine PIC rating on any multi-engine aircraft to be able to obtain FAA licenses), once your CAA responds, FAA will send a letter to you within 5 business days. The response from your Civil Aviation Authority will vary per country and total process may take 4-12 weeks.

Step 2: Take ATP CTP course.
ATP CTP course is a mandatory course to take regardless of pilot’s flight experience, according to FAA (min requirement PPL; whether you have 300, 3000, or 13000 flight hours you must take this course to obtain FAA ATP license).
Certificate is valid for life. Letter of Verification is not needed for this step.
Non-U.S. Citizens will need to get TSA clearance to be able to take sim sessions of ATP CTP course. Please note TSA and immigration visa services are two different entities. When submitting your TSA request and strictly follow instructions to expedite the process.

Step 3: Take ATP Knowledge Test.
Test includes 125 questions. Question bank is about 750 questions. Sample test can be found on FAA’s website.
ATP CTP course covers ATP subjects mandated by FAA, but does not go over all test questions.

Step 4: Take ATP Practical Test.
ATP practical test can be done on simulator (like A320, B737) or light multi-engine aircraft - you will need either FAA CPL IR ME license or Letter of Verification for this step for the check ride.

Because you already have A320 type rating on foreign license and 300 hours on type, you would need to take A320 Upgrade/Conversion course. Course duration is 8-9 days. ATP and Type rating check ride will be the same check ride.
Upon completion, you will receive FAA ATP with A320 type rating.

For privacy reasons I wont go into the source who gave me this info but what do you guys think? Doesn’t seem like anywhere In the process my MPL would hinder my ability to convert?

Also,

What I am thinking now is that I will, when I apply, have to state that my first 1500 hours of flight were under MPL rules, and then ATPL thereafter. Now what the airlines make of this is what im concerned about!