PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - work life balance
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2017, 11:06
VFE
Dancing with the devil, going with the flow... it's all a game to me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is possible to eventually get a pilot job that offers a good work/life balance but invariably this will involve a degree of compromise, be it salary, home/work location, days/weeks away in return for days/weeks at home, etc etc ...

Before you begin a career in aviation you'd be wise to plan for the worst case scenario (but by all means hope for the best!) and go into the career with the mindest that you will take any job, anywhere because 80% of the time that's the only way into your first job.

Once you gain experience then your options widen and the potential to carve a decent work/life balance increase.

For me it was a long struggle. Many give up in the time it took me to land my first airline job. Prior to that I lived a hand to mouth existence doing instructing and other general aviation gigs whilst being financially strangled by the requirement to maintain a home location (for various reasons).

After 10+ years I now fly for an airline that currently offers a great work/life balance and am happier now than ever. But it's been a struggle. Go in with eyes wide open!