PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Arrows at Akrotiri
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2017, 09:15
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Hearing tanker crew complaining about others getting better accommodation is a bit rich in my experience. I never complained about it when I saw others getting a better deal. I just took it as a mission to get myself the better deal next time.
It was a bit tongue in cheek, Bob, but there is little doubt that we tankertrash did come pretty well down the pecking order! Which reminds me of an incident at Akrotiri. At the time the air conditioned transit blocks were reserved for the shiny VC10 fleet. One day a tired, hot and sweaty tanker crew were humping their gear to their two to a room non air conditioned accommodation, when a sergeant VC10 LM who was standing at the door of his cool room was unwise enough to call out "there go the tanker trash". Unluckily for him the tanker nav radar was an irascible red haired flight commander not known for his tolerance of insubordination. Said sergeant rapidly found himself out on his ear and his room commandeered by one of the tanker crew. The green shield squadron leader VC10 captain complained to the station commander, but got no support whatsoever.