PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Johannesburg School of Flying, Any Info?
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2017, 09:03
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, yes you would, but the really scary part is that climb gradient for EFATO situations is so tremendously degraded, both for singles and twins and turbines. I have long thought that DCA or the CAA as it now is, should regulate the use of training aircraft so that, for example, the PA 112 was effectively grounded at density altitudes higher that 5,000ft and the C150 and PA140 grounded at a DA of 7,000ft. There simply isn't enough climb performance in these small engine aircraft to cope with the hot and high of the reef.
The performance is compounded if you take a couple of beefy men and cram them into the cockpit and I defy any school in Johannesburg to prove that it always requires students to consult the performance graphs before going out on a training sortie.
There was one instructor, yonks ago, over at NAC/FALA who used to insist on a weight and balance sheet before twin training. That was a very valuable exercise but I think he must have been unique. He certainly wasn't popular for it.
Climb gradients after take off are not the only dangerous situations arising for these little puddle jumper aircraft either. Recovery from Forced Landings an even Precautionary Landing practice can be adversely affected by aircraft performance under such meteorological conditions. As for climbing a Tomahawk sufficiently high to recover from a full spin by 1,500ft all-or whatever it is these days-go whistle in the wind!