PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 13th Sep 2003, 20:19
international hog driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There by the grace of god go I......

Max I'm not going to tear you down, but I do need to clarify a few things.

an insulting, grossly biased generalisation then eh? - No, industry observation.

’guess it might just apply to you then? – Yes, but I don’t have ‘the over-inflated views of themselves’, I quite humbly cancel fights (mine and other crews), where the proposed operation exceeds the capabilities of crew or machine.
Officedesk wanted advice, I gave him an insight, like when you walk into the DFO’s or CP’s office and ask for a clarification. We look up to our peers usually that have attained the position because of their experience and capabilities. Officedesk has not done it, others have.

Don’t let this happen to you, How patronising. – Might be, but I don’t want to see another professional buy the farm, I’ve seen it too much already.

I don’t touch the 10 hour guys, the ones with thousands of hours have trouble enough doing what I do (company mins 1K hours on type) no matter what you have flown before.
We have one FO now with a little over 200 hours and yes she flies better than some of the experienced guys, so in actual fact some are much more capable than the 10 000 hour plank driver, I Agree.

“So I just don't see the point of bringing up this example of one unfortunate incident”. One incident….. quite the opposite there are many examples. Have a look at the number of ‘professionals’ inside and outside our industry who think they have what it takes to fly rotary. Not just 10K hr jet jockeys have an untouchable aura.

Clint Eastwood said it in one of his movies once.
“A good man always knows his limitations”

I know mine, do you know yours?

My intent is not to cut you down, but to open your eyes to the fact that there are many flight operations that your’s and mine experience my not have covered yet. In our own way we may be experienced and qualified professionals but we still may know nothing about how they guys across the apron do things.

Getting back to the topic for Ofiicedesk, besides keeping the picture flat, another thing you need to know in contrast to flying planks is SMALL CONTROL MOVEMENTS.