PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helping Lucie
Thread: Helping Lucie
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2003, 20:14
lucieross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helping Lucie

I am a 19 year old girl, with my main goal in life to become an airline pilot.

I’ve always known it would be a tough goal to achieve, but only now, the time in my life when I can begin my career, am I realising just how hard it is, mainly due to the financial barriers.

I have spent the last year, since completing my A-levels in geography, physics and Physical Education, trying a variety of occupations and have spent many hours on my own and with the aid of a careers development officer trying to decipher if becoming a pilot is all I want in life of if there are any easier avenues I could go down.

I am fortunate enough to have a variety of options available to me due to my 2A’s and D at A-level, and got accepted into every university I applied to. However, I simply couldn’t not spend the rest of my life in a career where I’ve settled for second best.

Flying is the only career opportunity that makes me look forward to the rest of my life.

I play hockey for my local team next to an airfield in Bournemouth, Dorset. Every time a commercial jet takes off, I get that adrenalin rush that no one should live without.

Most of my friends do not understand my passion for flying and tell me that “I will get bored” and “its just like driving a bus”. I only way I can explain it to them is to describe how I feel. Most people will fall in love one, twice, maybe several times in their life times. You see that person across the room and you get a warm rush that goes right through your body that excites you and just feels perfect. That is how I feel every time I hear an aircraft take off, and I don’t see that feeling ever fading. It certainly didn’t for my grandfather who was a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm and never lost that “rush” from flying right up until he was grounded at the age of 45.

Sadly I have not been born with a silver spoon in my mouth and so have to find the funds to pay for my training off my own back. This is where I am stuck. I have the ambition, academic ability, and aptitude to achieve my goal, but sadly not the funds.

So this is where I am now. And asking for help. I know I can achieve my goal and will make an excellent commercial pilot, so long as I can overcome this financial barrier.

If you can give any donations to help towards this I would really appreciate it. Please get in contact with me if you feel you can help- how ever small the amount is, it all counts!