PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2017, 02:06
Lee Baker Street

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LTNman
The great thing about this thread is that while the common theme will always be about Luton the daily subject matter seems to cover so many different subjects. A couple of weeks ago all the posts were about Proctors, today we are talking about Italian airline Caravelles.

Hard to say when Luton had its most interesting period, as it will always be down to when people here first started wearing their rose tinted glasses.

I do remember my first visits to Luton when if I got my timings wrong there were next to no movements. Then the excitement would start to stir when I could hear a sole aircraft breaking the silence as it started its engines.

I got into the habit of timing my Sunday visits to a 3 hour time period when Luton used to get a bunch of movements over a short period before the famine started again.

Never forgot the piercing sound a BM Viscount used to make as it taxied past. It was fingers in the ears time.
A BMA Viscount was the very first aircraft I got to look around as it was being prepared for it’s next flight and I was surprised by the size of the windows and the curtains. But for some reason I loved the Boeing 720B’s operated by Monarch.