PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2017, 21:07
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Transit

I remember the LGW North to South Terminal Transit a good few years ago was sponsored by British Airways... They use to force you to listen to some commentory welcoming you to the BA transit link and then played some hideous operatic music.

I think it would be foolish if they didn't get some sort of sponsorship or advertising for the service, after the large investment. Maybe it could be sponsored by Wizzair and the train can WIZZZZ you up to the terminal, or sponsored by easyJet and called the easyTrain!

I've not really read much on the new proposed service, but I can imagine something similar to that of the transit that runs at Stansted Airport... Where the actual cars are on tyred wheels running of a guided concrete track and not a train as we know it, running on steel rails, which is a lot more expensive.

I am curious what the charging structure will be for the transit and who will operate and maintain the service? The service might be free from the Mid-Stay Car Park to the Terminal, but I highly doubt it will be from the railway station, and the airport/council will want to recoup the costs invested...

At present the bus link between Luton Airport Parkway and the Airport is operated by Govia Thameslink and is considered part of the UK rail network, as you can buy a train ticket directly from any UK station to the airport and the ticket includes the bus part of the journey. Will it remain part of the "national rail" network and use the same ticketing structure or will it be completely seperate, with seperate ticketing and machines to board the service?

I suspect the council will not want to run it directly itself and will do a similar deal to the airport and offer a 10-20 year revenue sharing lease of the transport system, to run and maintain it.

I can imagine it being something similar to that in New York at JFK Airport... Where you travel on the NYC Subway system from Manhatten to Howard Beach station using the subway's normal ticketing. Then in-order to use the JFK AirTrain at Howard Beach, you go upstairs and purchase a $5 ticket using a different ticketing system, to board this automated train to the approriate terminal. This causes a lot of confusion and many passengers expect their Subway passes to be accepted on the airport link.

If the new transit is future proofed and has sufficient capacity/frequencies, I could see the airport moving the entire drop off area completely away from the Central Terminal Area, and to a new location (AKA Mid Stay), where all passengers have to use the service to get to the terminal and something similar for car hire.

Maybe offering a smaller "premium" drop off area by the terminal where the charge is maybe £10-20, as the fee would have to be hefty to persaude people not going up to the terminal. As the currrent £3 fee, does not seem enough to make people to use the free bus link from the Mid-Stay car park.