PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dayton Ohio Airshow USAF Thunderbird Mishap
Old 5th Nov 2017, 13:47
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Thanks for the updates, you guys. Haven't talked with a current Viper driver for many moons.

I can't believe ACC or USAF approved the mod unless they never tested the configuration in weather with "glued on" bumps. As I departed the fix, they were placing RHAW antennas on the LEF's because we were getting inaccurate azimuth for tgts on the the nose. They figured out a way later to get rid of those doofers. Could be where those bumps came from.

Not taking into account the water puddling on the canopy with no "blast air" as the Sluf and Phantom had is another example of the influence of the "Edwards mafia". With a few tests here at Eglin the issue would have been well known. But running the majority of your airframe and weapon tests in the dry desert is not a good test of all the new stuff, IMHO. We have seen test responsibility "creep" here at Eglin for 40 years!! Oh well, I'll stop whining.

I join others about the decision-making, concerning at least one other great divert base with the barriers and such ( don't think Dayton has departure end cables or he would have used the hook). Also agree about technique. Viper antiskid is awesome, but you need weight on the tires to exploit the coefficient of friction and break thru hydrofoiling.

Gums opines...

Last edited by gums; 5th Nov 2017 at 19:31. Reason: spelling