PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Few questions from a newbie
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2017, 12:50
ChickenHouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tagzy
Hi everyone, totally new to the world of flying. I hope you don't mind me asking a number of straightforward questions? I have tried googling and doing my own research but can't get a decent answer or one that's relevant to the UK.

Assuming all of the below is based on a PA28 (although not all aircraft specific). So here goes;

1) Most used aircraft I see for sale are from the 60s or 70s. Is this the norm for private pilots and aircraft used for PPL etc?
The 60s and 70s were some kind of golden age for General Aviation, people were open for alternative travel and adventure. So, yes, everybody flying on budget is going 60s, 70s and some early 80s airplanes. These are also the sweet spot aircraft, as they were meant to fly primarily - after the cesura mid-80s to late-90s, were ecoterrorism and stupid insurance laws almost killed any prospect, the aircraft became fat and blinkyblinky ...
2) How does aviation insurance work? Is it personal or for every aircraft or a combination of the both? And how much would a newly qualified pilot expect to pay?
Usually insurance is on the aircraft. If you go basic liability insurance starts at about 500 per year.
3) Can you fly between any two aerodromes and what, if any, restrictions are there to this for private pilots?
It depends. If you stay in one country and stay clear of PPR and slotted airports, you may go on your own discretion in most cases.
4) Can you take-off/land an aircraft outside an aerodrome in a non-emergency situation? For example, if you had your own private land that was suitable for this purpose?
It depends on the country, some do allow that, other want to shoot you in the back for it.
5) Are there any airports that forbid private pilots entirely? I presume the likes of Heathrow do. Only ask this because I know Liverpool John Lennon is used for PPL so just wondering where the 'line' is drawn as so to speak.
Yes, there are such airports.
6) How much is it to hangar and what's the price difference between your permanent hangar and one at an aerodrome you are visiting?
Usually on visiting the aircraft stays outside and parking is about the same as the permanent hangar per day. Prices vary vastly, from small change locations to real expensive ones. I suspect the usual hangar comes for a few hundreds a month.
7) How much 'non-flying' time to you have to factor into a journey from the moment you arrive at an aerodrome to leaving the destination aerodrome assuming you are leaving your aircraft there for some time.
You point to pre-flight and post-flight times? It depends. For a SEP I would estimate the sum of both being about one to two hours. Some prefer doing caretime before flight, others after, so it is hard to give numbers separate.
I've got loads more but I think it will be a bit much at this point. Thanks for your patience and I hope some of the questions have given you a bit of a laugh!