PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dayton Ohio Airshow USAF Thunderbird Mishap
Old 5th Nov 2017, 09:15
F-16GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the F-16 got the bird slicers (AIFF) antennas in front of the canopy, it changed the airflow and got us a phenomenon called water pooling. Our jets did not have bird slicers originally and water pooling was never a problem even though we get lots of rain in northern europe. Once we got the MLU upgrade and the bird slicers were mounted in front of the canopy, we started noticing this problem. The solution for now is to treat the canopy with a product that repels the water, but it does not work good enough if the rain is really heavy.

From my own experience, if water pooling conditions are present, the water will start to pool once slowing below 170-160 knots (9-10 AOA ish). In some cases it will spread all the way back to the sides of the HUD. If that happens you can not lean to one side and look past the HUD and land. With water pooling present you will have to accelerate to at least 30-40 knots over the speed where the water pooling started, to get it to disappear.

Water pooling sucks!

Agree that less then 150 hours on the Viper is very few for a T-bird. With a bit more experience on the F-16 the MP would have known that best way to reduce landing roll is to apply aerobreak down to 80 knots, lower the NLG to the RWY, pull full aft stick, speed brake fully out and max wheel braking. It is very difficult to resist the urge to bring the nose down early and hit the brakes if the RWY end is charging at you, but its not as effective as the above. Especially on wet and slippery surfaces. If in doubt, full A/B, speed brake in and go around.

Last but not least, I dont get the diversion fuel 1900 lb part. My take is that if you have not landed safely by 1900 lb remaining, you divert. The MP commenced the approach at 1900 lb and touched down with 1600 lb, thereby committing him to land at KDAY since he is now below divert fuel. Or am I missing something?