PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HELP! Looking to move to a US airline...with an interesting background...
Old 4th Nov 2017, 23:52
zondaracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangsally
First, you need to relocate to the US. Then get the green card and start applying. I'd recommend skipping the regionals, why take a step back, you already fly the A-320.

Join all the airline websites, load up your data and I'm sure the emails, and phone will start ringing.

Want Chicago, apply to all of them. You will be assigned the junior base, but with the current trend, in a relative short period of time, ORD/MID will open up. If the base is senior for the airline it could take a little bit longer, as will upgrades to larger equipment and the left seat.

Good Luck
Don't think that a regional is beneath you. A friend of mine really wanted to relocate to a specific city, and he left his jet flying job and started working as a CFI in the new city. After only 6 months he found a corporate job flying a Global Express. Being a CFI was better than being unemployed and it led to some networking opportunities.

Going to a regional could be very beneficial, because they will pay for your ATP-CTP course (saving you several thousand dollars), and they will pay for your ATP (also saving you a couple thousand dollars). Most of the regionals do not have a hiring contract and there is usually no hard feelings if you leave for an LCC or Major. First year pay at most of the regionals is equal or more than first year pay at Frontier and Spirit. (However, second year pay and beyond at the low cost carriers is usually is more than second year pay at the regionals).