PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 20:03
thegypsy
DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off topic completely but a WW11 story.

For the first three years of WW11 my father was a Flying Instructor on Oxfords at RAF South Cerney ending up Flight Commander of C Flight. Came across this letter whilst sorting out some papers having moved house.

On a day when he was not in the office a Polish Pilot who he had been teaching dropped in to say goodbye but he was not there so he wrote to my father as follows on 28th August 1941

Dear Flt Lt Sir

Forgive me please for writing this letter to you. Because I want to say you good Baye and good luck Sir.

I am very sorry I did not say when I was leaving station.

But it was impossible because you have not been in flight in your office.

But by the letter I say you very much thanks to you Sir and I wish to myself to have always Flight Commander a like you Sir because really you was like you Sir because really you was like Father for us. I do like you very much Sir.

I will never forget this school and my Flt Lt Mr so yet ones many thanks for you Sir and everything what did you for me Sir when I have been in that school. Let God keep you always safety for whole your life and let your life it will always happy.

But never sad that is wishes from one of your pupils from last course.

I am very sorry7 if something in this letter is no good English. With hoping you will always happy Sir!

Yours sincerely Polish pupil Waclaw Niezrecki

I did a bit of research and found he survived the war ending up with DFM and AFC and Flt Lt and in 1953 was on Meteor 7's as Master Pilot.

He was in 301 Squadron and was a Wellington Co Pilot involved in a crash 16th Jan 1942 on return from Hamburg and also 27/28 April 1942 again as co pilot crash landed back due flap damage. His No was 782373 No idea what he did in war after these two crashes.