PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enter Air landing Salzburg
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 17:54
cactusbusdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4djd9
What a fuss over a normal approach and well executed go around. Not even the cameraman could keep his camera steady. In the 2 minute video, while crosswind in the approach, there seems to be heavy rainfall behind him with the risk of it creating a tailwind in the last phase of final. And look at the trees how they were lashing back and forth. There was a good ceiling and visibility, they flew the crosswind and final approach in turbulent but visual conditions, and perhaps but for the last gust during the flare it would have been a good landing. The GA was a perfect decision, instead of trying to fix a bounced landing. And re the comment of some making it in and others diverting, the conditiions in that sort of weather and can and do vary inmensely from minute to minute. Well done to the crew.
Absolutely correct. And for you 737 NG guys, wait until you meet the MAX. I jumpseated with a 737 crew the other day and they showed me the differences. One limitation for our company will be an 18 knot max crosswind component for the first 9 months of operation due to a different crosswind technique.

Due to the greater chance of a tip strike due to the scimitar winglets the crab to touchdown technique will be mandated.

Every jet I've flown, from 737 to A320 to 767 I have kicked out the crab starting in the flare and touched down with one wing slightly low, to prevent side gear loading. I've seen the videos of the 380s landing crabbed and the guys I fly with that flew B52s say they land that way all the time.

These guys did a good job with the conditions they were in. They did a great job not trying to save the bounce. Going around and diverting was the best move.