PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Few questions from a newbie
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 17:24
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tagzy
Hi everyone, totally new to the world of flying. I hope you don't mind me asking a number of straightforward questions? I have tried googling and doing my own research but can't get a decent answer or one that's relevant to the UK.

Assuming all of the below is based on a PA28 (although not all aircraft specific). So here goes;

2) How does aviation insurance work? Is it personal or for every aircraft or a combination of the both? And how much would a newly qualified pilot expect to pay?
My insurance is split into a) hull coverage (the equivalent of fully comprehensive for a car) which can be anywhere between 1 and 2% of the replacement value and b) CSL coverage (combined single limit) which covers you 3rd party against damage caused to others (this can be passengers, can also be 3rd parties because (e.g.) you crash into their building.... My total cost for insurance coverage for a 2004 Cirrus SR20 is around €2400 a year.

3) Can you fly between any two aerodromes and what, if any, restrictions are there to this for private pilots?
There are restrictions such as airspace. You couldn't fly at will directly from (e.g.) Denham to Fairoaks because of Heathrow Control Zone - instead you'd either have to route around their control zone or request a transit.

5) Are there any airports that forbid private pilots entirely? I presume the likes of Heathrow do. Only ask this because I know Liverpool John Lennon is used for PPL so just wondering where the 'line' is drawn as so to speak.
In UK, only two airports actually refuse to accept single engine GA - Heathrow and London City. For the rest, the question is one of cost. If you were prepared to pay more than 1500 quid to land at Gatwick, fill your boots.

However, that is not to say that if you had an emergency, you would be left facing huge landing fees because a regional airport was the only option. Quite a few of the airports subscribe to the Strasser Scheme which allows a pilot facing a genuine emergency to land without being bankrupted by landing fees.

6) How much is it to hangar and what's the price difference between your permanent hangar and one at an aerodrome you are visiting?
Hangarage is very much dependent on supply and demand. I pay €220 a month for hangarage, others pay more but have better service - for example, their aircraft is brought in and out of the hangar.

Usually, if I'm away for a night and it looks like it's going to be stormy, I'll ask for hangarage, if not, I'll just tie her down.

The costs very much depends on the airport itself and have varied between €8 and €25 a night - but even if they have a fee for hangarage, there is no guarantee you will get some because hangars at some airfield are full. However, if a storm is forecast, I find that usually they make some space available.

7) How much 'non-flying' time to you have to factor into a journey from the moment you arrive at an aerodrome to leaving the destination aerodrome assuming you are leaving your aircraft there for some time.
Preflights usually take around 30 minutes. On arrival, there's also documentation to be completed - aircraft log book, pilot log book, cleaning of the plane and that can take anything from 10 minutes to 25 minutes.

One thing you should be aware that the preflight does not include the actual flight planning such as route calculation, weight and balance checks, fuel loads, checking NOTAMs, entering flight plans (if necessary). This I generally do at home and I reckon I spend about 30 minutes ensuring that my route is ok in terms of weather, NOTAMs, airspace and so forth.