PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Issue converting an old CAA PPL to EASA PPL
Old 4th Nov 2017, 16:54
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BillieBob,

My apologies if you think I was off on a tangent.

The OP asked how to get his original licence reissued, and also said he had been advised just to get an EASA SEP instead.

There are other options, however. I personally think he should do both.

The licence stuff is complete chaos, and I have personal experience of the CAA and some light aircraft examiners not actually knowing what the rules are.

Take the CAA page on what is an EASA aircraft: What is an EASA aircraft? | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Seems simple.... and then you get the final sentence! So you should always keep a UK licence if you ever had one, just in case you want one of those particular aircraft!

If you hold a UK national licence, you will be able to fly UK-registered non-EASA aircraft, as long as the aircraft type is covered by the ratings included in your licence. A UK national licence will not permit you to fly EASA aircraft.

I hold a UK national licence... I hold an EASA licence...
...can I fly EASA aircraft?
No, you will need an EASA licence instead. Yes, as long as you hold the appropriate rating on your licence
...can I fly non-EASA aircraft?
Yes, as long as you hold the appropriate rating on your licence and the aircraft is registered in the UK Yes, as long as you hold the appropriate rating on your licence and the aircraft is registered in the UK

For example: The Cessna 172 is an EASA aircraft. The Tiger Moth is a non-EASA aircraft. Both are single engine piston aircraft. So if you hold an EASA licence such as the PPL(A) or LAPL(A) that allows you to fly with a single-engine piston rating, then you can fly both the Cessna 172 (EASA) and the Tiger Moth (non-EASA). However, if you hold a non-EASA national licence, such as the UK NPPL(SSEA), then you can only fly the Tiger Moth.

However, in order to fly certain non-EASA aircraft you will need specific UK national type ratings, which can only be issued onto a UK national licence and not onto an EASA licence.

Then there is the Licence Conversion Table: Conversion table: UK and JAR to EASA licences | UK Civil Aviation Authority

which points out that some national licences - like the OP's PPL (A) can still be renewed rather than converted, but the renewed licence may have reduced privileges. If this option is available the licence will be listed in the "Renewal licence" column.

Conversion tables
Changes to the licensing system mean that some licences are no longer available or can no longer be renewed. Different licences with similar privileges are available, as set out in the table below.

Some national licences can still be renewed rather than converted, but the renewed licence may have reduced privileges. If this option is available the licence will be listed in the "Renewal licence" column.

General aviation licences

Existing / Expiring Licence Renewal Licence EASA conversion options
NPPL (SSEA, SLMG) NPPL (SSEA, SLMG) LAPL (A), LAPL (S)
PPL (SLMG) PPL (SLMG) or NPPL (SLMG) SPL, LAPL (S), PPL (A)
Depending on what you are flying
NPPL (M) PPL (M) NPPL (Microlight) Not applicable
PPL (Gyroplane) PPL (Gyroplane) Not applicable
UK PPL (A) UK PPL (A) (only valid for annex II aircraft) Part FCL PPL (A)
UK BCPL (A) Restricted UK PPL (A) (only valid for annex II aircraft) Part-FCL PPL (A)
UK PPL (H) UK PPL (H) (only valid for annex II aircraft) Part-FCL PPL (H)
JAR PPL (A) Part-FCL PPL (A) Part FCL PPL (A)
JAR PPL (H) Part-FCL PPL (H) Part FCL PPL (H)

Yes, my bad. There are not Annexe 1 aircraft and Annexe 2 ones, there are just Annexe 2 ones and ones not in Annexe 2

And, yes, I have called a licence an EASA SEP when, from the table above, it is Part-FCL PPL (A)

But I think the gist of what I said is correct. Happy for BB and others to point out errors so we all learn.

And so back to the OP's post.

I think he should get his UK PPL (A) re-issued as a UK PPL (A) (only valid for annex II aircraft) and then he should also get a Part FCL PPL (A)

I also actually think - since they are still being issued, he might find it an idea to get an NPPL (SSEA) - which was until very recently available in exchange for a UK PPL (A), and may still be although not mentioned in that table - and also a LAPL (which is definitely available for another c£85 if you have an NPPL (SSEA).

Of course what he can't do is hold both a LAPL and a Part FCL PPL (A)