PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 13th Sep 2003, 16:47
international hog driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Officedesk Jockey

Please visit http://www.atsb.gov.au/aviation/occu...ail.cfm?ID=331

Quote:

“The flight crew had the opportunity to recognise and correct the landing gear problem prior to landing. The pilot in command attempted to determine the actual landing gear situation from the flight engineer. Although the flight engineer's panel indicated the nose gear was not down and locked, the flight engineer did not recognise this and subsequent communication and co-ordination between the flight crew failed to detect this error.

During the latter part of the flight, the crew did not adequately manage the operation of the aircraft. The crew's performance reflected a lack of effective crew resource management, the crew's lack of knowledge about some of the company's procedures for B747 operations, the flight engineer's and the co-pilot's lack of experience in the B747 and perceived pressure.”

Put simply, the crew were faced with abnormals, they rushed the approach skipped items on the check list and when faced with bad WX poped out at the bottom and oops………

I fly planks now, all AC and myself want to say is don’t expect too much and you won’t be disappointed. Many people who fly high performance planks have an over inflated view of themselves and when they go from a controlled, multi crew environment to a single pilot, hands on scenario many come unstuck and sometimes with fatal consequences.

Don’t let this happen to you is what we are saying.

As for flying rotary my piece of advice a very capable instructor told me when I did my conversion, KEEP THE PICTURE FLAT.

IHD

Last edited by international hog driver; 13th Sep 2003 at 17:14.