PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 13th Sep 2003, 16:26
Officedesk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ascend, I was just making a point that a valid question asking for helpful constructive responses always seems to end in some mud slinging session on this web-site. That is a shame and I wish people would stop and think before posting.

I would just like to give my informed half penneth worth on your condemnation of him for going off and landing one wheel up.

In a 747 you cannot simply ignore gear unsafe conditions. The approach attitude would be not as expected, it would be near impossible to slow to anywhere near planned safe approach speed (if the non-normal checklist had not been completed). Then you would get GPWS 'too low gear' alert then the landing config warning before touchdown. On top of that and as mentioned above there are is also at least one other trained pilot alongside who will be screaming out if any one these steps is missed.

It is always hard when another non-normal situation occurs, like an engine shut down (though in flight that is not a very serious emergency on a four engine aircraft). The 747 has many failsafes and the situation that you describe with the nosewheel is still likely to be the result of another serious failure that I am sure the crew did everything they could to sort before commencing an approach. I would be very surprised indeed if they quite simply ignored the fact that one of their big green lights was missing and then they still ignored further aural warnings.

Regardless of all that the point I am making is why do people use situations that they cannot know everything about them, to condemn.

I repeat my previous: Whilst he may not have the specific abilities to enter your world I suggest you be careful about criticising his.

Particularly when all I was asking for was a few helpful tips on flying rotarys. I didn't really ask for opinions of whether airline pilots could hack it on helicopters.

That's my last word on it now lets forget it.