PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident near Port Macquarie
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2017, 00:05
Lookleft

Received 195 Likes on 90 Posts
What was this thread about again?
I thought it was about a tragic fatal aircraft accident involving a respected competent experienced pilot, with long experience flying a well maintained multi engined aircraft, into a familiar field into which he flew regularly.
I believe there will be a lesson for me in the investigation.
That is where it started. The lesson from the investigation won't be made available for another two years at least. As was stated an experienced pilot in a well maintained 310 flying into a familiar field. What this accident suggests is that no one is immune from accidents regardless of experience and equipment. Going back to the eyewitness account of the aircraft attitude and the fact that there was no post crash fire then fuel exhaustion or fuel starvation is a strong possibility. The lesson to be learnt at this stage, I would suggest, is that monitoring the fuel distribution in a light twin should be given a higher priority in a pilot's workflow. If you think its not an issue then put in fuel starvation into a search engine or else have a look at this report which goes back to 2003

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...nd_starvation/